Blog 4: Agano Pre-School


Our day started off with a quality breakfast. Eggs, pancakes, toast, watermelon, and bananas were the highlights. Brock so graciously offered to read from the prayer journal before we started eating. After we finished our meal, all of us waited for the Dala Dala to pick us up and take us to our the different schools. We went to Agano preschool. We arrived with open arms from the children, as we had the day before. Some of us went with the older kids, some with the little kids, and the rest with the babies and toddlers. The classrooms are connected, so even though we were all in the 3 different classrooms, we could hear the kids from the other rooms singing and enjoying their time with each other. I (Jenna) went into the classroom with the babies and toddlers with Kendall and Beth. As soon as we walked in, there were smiling faces staring up at us. The kids in that room range from the ages of 2 – 6. There were two 6 year old girls that immediately ran up to me and hugged me without knowing anything about me. I had my hair in a braid and approximately 5 minutes in, they started playing with my hair. As they were doing hair there were a bunch of other littler kids climbing all over me, hitting me with pool noodles, and putting their toys in my mouth. Throughout the morning they all wanted to play and run around, but as soon as it hit maybe 11 o’clock, all they thought about was sleep. One little girl was so tired that she fell asleep in my arms. Meanwhile, I (Brock), was with the littler kids in their classroom, while they learned about the first few letters of the alphabet. The kids in school here are learning a little bit of English at a young age and learn more and more the older they get. I oversaw their very auditory style of learning and it was fun to see them enjoy and adapt different things to their learning. They had different words that correlated to each letter. Most of them seemed to enjoy learning the alphabet, at least until recess time grew closer. They went out for recess with the older kids and I and the other students and chaperones that were working with them. The kids got a little crazy during recess, but it was fun to bond and play with them. There were a few kids that stood out that I will never forget. After recess our Dala Dala showed up to pick us up and we headed back to the lodge for lunch. For lunch we had good flat bread (Chapati), rice, a beef and vegetable stir fry that was meant to be put on top of the rice. As always we had bananas, and watermelon. We had a few hours to spare before we went to the work site. Many of us took naps, journaled, or just hung out. The Dala Dala picked us up around 2:20, and took us to Jesca’s house. The work we are doing are digging a pond so the women’s group called Jiendeleze that Jesca had started have fish that they can eat and sell. We started where a group from a few years ago had left off. We had a lot of work to do, but each and every one of us took the challenge with open arms. We all had a shovel and four wheel barrows. The women from the group even came to work with the digging. It was strenuous work, and each of us had a good amount of sweat and dirt on us. We wrapped up feeling pretty good about how much work we got done. We said goodbye to the Mamas, and walked back to the Dala Dala in which all of us would cram into to get a ride back to the lodge. We hung around the lodge until dinner. For dinner we were served noodles, rice, barbeque chicken, beef stew, and fruit. After eating Baba Dick wanted to share that he was proud of how we were working and handling ourselves throughout the trip so far. It came to be a meeting where we shared who we saw God in that day. Everyone felt touched by the experiences that were shared. Jesca came and all of the girls tried on a bunch of the clothes and accessories that the women’s group had made. A lot of us bought stuff, and Brock may or may not have picked out a gift for his mom! After this eventful evening, all of the students went up on the roof to hang out and talk. Overall today was difficult at some points, however was rewarding in the end.

Blog by Jenna and Brock

Hi Parentals,
It’s your daughter Jenna. I’ve been having the best time here seeing the kids and connecting with everyone here. I miss you and I bet you miss me more. lol. I already know what I am bringing you back even thought you told me not to worry about it. I have so much I want to tell you guys about what we have been doing and the experiences that I have had. The food is hecking good and I’m never ever hungry. Could probably be drinking more water though…. Sorry mother. Also I lost my malaria medication so I haven’t been taking that. Sike. I take it everyday because I am a responsible child. Also I like planes now. Liz, I am excited to be able to share experiences with you! Tell Emily I love her and hope she’s still having as much fun in Ireland as I am here. I miss you so so much and love you so so much! Also tell Liz that I will know if she sleeps in my bed. Love you all!

- Jenna

Hey mom and dad,
I have been having the best time in Tanzania and I can’t wait until I get back to share all of these stories and experiences I have had. Everything seems so much better for me when I get to share them with you guys. Mom, don’t worry, I will be coming back eventually and I will have many gifts for you! :) Dad, I am excited to tell you all about the wildlife and foods we ate while I’ve been away. Love you guys to the moon and back times a million and I am so excited to see you guys!!!

P.S. Dad, there are no bears here.
-Brock




Comments

  1. Brock - So glad to hear you are having a great time. Keep enjoying every moment. Can’t wait to hear all about it. Not sure if I should be worried or excited about the gift you may or may not have picked out for me.
    Love, Mom and Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenna,
    Yes, we miss you tons! Thanks for the mini heart attack over the lost malaria pills...you are lucky I have a sense of humor! So glad to hear you are having a wonderful experience and the food sounds terrific. I will tell Liz and Emily everything too. I decided I liked your bed better so we switched them(O: Thank goodness you like flying now! Keep working hard and enjoying every moment can't wait to see you and hear all about it!
    Love you! Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog 7 Mikocheni Village and Uru, too!

Blog 11 - visit to the Mama's homes

One More Blog plus read this PARENTS